Saturday, December 26, 2015

85.) Star Wars [12/19/2015; 3D IMAX 12/26/2015]]

I saw this twice, and I really...REALLY...wanted to like it (Star Wars sits right in my interest wheel-house), but I just can't bring myself to give the film a glowing review; I liked it well-enough (who doesn't like dog fights with Tie Fighters and X-Wings and light saber battles, and JJ Abrams knows how direct an epic space ship battle), but the first installment of the new trilogy, so heavily steeped in nostalgia, was built on the viewers love and knowledge of the original trilogy, jumping from big nostalgic set-piece to big nostalgic set-piece (literally flying through the ruins of ATATs and Star Destroyers) rather than taking time to build the relationships between the new central characters; that said, I loved Rey, Finn and Po, and I look forward to some more films where I might be given a story that gives me a reason to care about these people.

No comments:

Post a Comment