Tuesday, September 6, 2016

60.) Southside With You [9/3/2016]

I am torn on this film. I am unashamedly a huge fan of the Obamas, as both a family and public figures. I was the idea candidate for this strangely under-advertised film. The film, which focused on the first date of the current President and First Lady, lacked authenticity. I am sure it's hard to portray two people who are very much alive, and both the leads (Tika Sumpter as Michele and Parker Sawyers as Barack) did a fine job playing their real-life counterpoints. That said, the writing left a lot to be desired. It felt at times like the two were reading their own future Wikipedia pages to each other.

And even though I know first-date movies are meant to be low on action, the film lacked any inherent drama. There were a few moments which needed to have the intensity ratcheted up a few ticks to bring out the deep tension in the film.

Maybe it is too soon for this movie. Its hard to be objective about the current president's life while he is still very much a public figure. Regardless, this movie was only alright, and I was really hoping for better.

No comments:

Post a Comment